May is always a fantastic month at The Manse on Marsh as we celebrate two special groups of residents: Moms and Veterans. We’ll talk more about our awesome Vets later in the month, but for now, we’re focusing on Mom, and ways to celebrate with her right here at The Manse on Marsh. We offer Mother’s Day events to celebrate all of our wonderful moms and their families. It’s the perfect way to spend the day with both mom and your family.
While you’re here, we have a few suggestions for activities with mom that will make your visit even more memorable:
- If you have young children, keep your kids busy by taking along some arts and crafts supplies so they can make Mother’s Day cards for you and your mom. In fact, we recommend coloring!
· Coloring helps with the six Cs including: coordination, creativity, communication, calmness, capability and connection.
· A study found adults 65 and older who participated in creative activities, such as coloring, made fewer trips to the doctor and had fewer health problems than their counterparts who didn’t participate in such activities.
· According to art therapists, the creativity of coloring can promote enhanced joint health and flexibility because seniors need to use their fine motor skills when picking up and using a colored pencil or marker.
· Research also shows coloring works much like meditation by blocking out negative thoughts and improving mood. It is especially helpful for those suffering from depression or loneliness, common issues among seniors.
- Create a scrapbook filled with photos and memories of you and your mom so the two of you can reminisce together.
- Bake a batch of mom’s favorite cookies for her to enjoy and share with friends.
- Bring mom flowers or framed family photos to decorate her room.
Take Advantage of Technology
If you don’t live near The Manse, consider using technology like Facebook or Skype to communicate with mom. Seeing one another’s faces can make your time together more special than a standard telephone call. If you’re worried about your mother’s ability to navigate the technology, recruit a sibling, cousin or family friend to help out (and do the reverse in case you are the one who is nearby and they are far away.) Our staff is happy to help assist with your remote celebration as well – just give us a call in advance and we can discuss the best plan of action.
And from all of us at The Manse on Marsh, Happy Mother’s Day!