Just a block away from award-winning San Luis Obispo senior living community The Manse on Marsh is Emerson Park -- 3 acres of vibrant neighborhood park with unique features and recreation opportunities, and one of our favorite amenities, the community garden. With spring just around the corner, we’re exploring the many health benefits gardening offers to seniors.
Benefits of Gardening for Seniors
Gardening itself can help prevent injury, by offering an increase in mobility and flexibility, something which can help older adults maintain their independence.
Gardening offers both physical and mental health benefits to seniors. While you may have some physical limitations, with the right planning and some modifications, most anyone can participate in gardening activities this spring.
Some of the physical benefits of gardening for seniors include:
- Increased levels of physical activity. Gardening can burn up to 300 calories in one session!
- Helps maintain mobility and flexibility. The movements like lifting, bending, kneeling and digging engage different muscle groups and encourage use of all motor skills.
- Improves hand strength and joint flexibility.
- Can help prevent diseases like osteoporosis.
Likewise, gardening also offers mental health benefits to seniors like:
- Improves mood and decreases feeling of sadness and depression.
- Lessens social isolation and improves well-being.
- Provides a rewarding experience and a sense of accomplishment to nurture another living thing.
- Promotes relaxation and reduces stress.
The Manse on Marsh independent and assisted living is wonderfully located in the heart of downtown San Luis Obispo, one of the most scenic towns in the country and a desirable location for families to visit, to enjoy downtown restaurants and outdoor activities like gardening and visiting the beach.
Activities at The Manse on Marsh are planned with each resident's likes and interests in mind. From Cal Poly seminars to shopping and exercise classes, Manse activities offer a fun, welcoming, and exciting environment where all residents can find an outlet for their creative and preferences.