Moving a loved one into a senior living community is a big step. As your family and loved ones adjust to the change, it’s important to continue to focus on life’s happy moments and milestones.
“Life is a journey, and there are still plenty of celebrations ahead when a new resident moves into our community,” says The Manse on Marsh CEO Farron Bernhardt. “Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays are special, significant events that our seniors can celebrate with their families.”
Milestones like centennial birthdays and fiftieth wedding anniversaries are extraordinary occasions and should be shared. Holidays can leave seniors feeling isolated and lonely, so it’s very important to be with them during these times. These events are great opportunities to reminisce about cherished memories and connect by making new ones.
Planning a party for your senior loved one at The Manse on Marsh is encouraged! There are many simple ways to bring a festive, celebratory mood to a suite or cottage:
- Decorate! Streamers, banners and balloons create a bright, festive atmosphere perfect for celebrating.
- Consider your loved one’s interests. Make them a part of the planning process for the celebration. Any favorite foods? Do they like being outdoors? Make sure to tailor the party to their interests and abilities. If they feel more comfortable sitting in a chair, then plan for the party to remain in one room. Make sure to focus the celebration on him or her.
- Play their favorite music. Make a playlist of their favorite artists. Your loved one will appreciate it and the music might bring back some old memories.
- Reminisce. Instead of focusing on your loved one getting older, look back together on their life and share your favorite stories. Bring photo albums!
- Above all, your presence is what matters most. The celebrating, decorations and food wouldn’t mean a thing to your loved one if you weren’t there with them. The real cherished part of the milestones and holidays is that you’re sharing these moments together.
The Manse on Marsh is a welcoming assisted and independent living care community in San Luis Obispo, dedicated to giving its residents the highest quality of life. Our staff and guests love having visitors, and we have several spaces for families and friends to gather with loved ones:
- Outdoor spaces and beautiful grounds
- Recreation areas and lounges
- Private residences
About The Manse on Marsh
The Manse on Marsh is located in downtown San Luis Obispo, the heart of the Central Coast and close to home for families seeking assisted living care in Arroyo Grande, Paso Robles, and other nearby communities. Amenities include spacious flats and private homes, restaurant-quality open dining, convenient transportation, social activities, maid and laundry services, nurse on staff, attentive caregivers and discrete personal assistance. Learn more or schedule your tour of The Manse on Marsh Independent & Assisted Living campus at www.themanse.net.